Online Gambling Regulations in Germany
For a very long time the gambling laws in Germany were very complicated and vague, and gambling oftentimes quite unregulated. As a general rule, gambling in Germany was illegal with the exception of one state up until the summer of 2020, when the country officially allowed online gambling. The changes will be implemented slowly while the regulatory body decides on rules and handles the applications from the operators, so the scene has not changed overnight.
The new legislation also comes with some additional rules that the operators must follow:
Even before 2020, a lot of Europe-based and licenced online casinos have been offering their services to the German clientele. Same goes for overseas casinos, but when the casino is not licenced in Europe, the player has less protection were something to go wrong.
Online Casinos with Welcome Bonuses
Welcome bonus is a standard method in the casino industry to lure in as many new players as possible. The competition to gain new players is very fierce, so the casinos like to put in everything they have right off the bet – resulting in lucrative and almost unpassable deals for the new players.
Welcome bonuses that online casinos offer tend to be different from one another, because every casino wants to stand out from the crowd. This is why it is important to spend a bit of time doing research before diving straight in to the first online casino with a welcome package, as you might get a better deal elsewhere.
To make the search for a great welcome bonus a bit less daunting, our site has some handy lists of online casinos to check out first. We outline the key facts about the deals on offer in a clear way, so you do not have to spend a lot of time reading multiple terms and conditions.
Payment Methods for Players in Germany
Online gamblers in Germany have an abundant choice of payment methods when it comes to making payments at online casinos. The choice will come down to two questions: what methods the casino accepts, and what method is the most convenient to the player. Here are some of the most commonly used methods:
- Visa/MasterCard – One of the easiest to use, as almost everyone owns a debit card. Secure and fast deposits, but slower withdrawals.
- Wire transfers – A direct bank transfer cuts out the need to use another service but is the slowest of all the methods.
- Electronic wallets – Work kind of as an extra bank account but transactions are handled instantly. Lots of companies to choose from, the most popular ones being Neteller and Skrill.
- Prepaid options – Prepaid cards or vouchers like Paysafecard that need to be purchased or topped up separately. Very secure but will not work for withdrawing money.
- Cryptocurrencies – Using cryptocurrencies (i.e. the most popular one Bitcoin)requires an electronic wallet for making deposits and withdrawals. Extremely secure and instant but are not quite as widely accepted as the more traditional methods.
Online Casino Germany Slot Games
Possibly the most popular and loved online casino game type is slots. They are easy to grasp, quick to play, and can include any number of special themes, effects, bonus games, and so on. The great news is that new slot games are released almost every week, so there is always something new and exciting to try. The best slots have become classics and are still played on a daily basis years after their original release. If you are only starting out, you might want to look for some industry-leading game developer names such as NetEnt, Microgaming, or Play’n GO. These companies have won multiple awards and created many fan favourites.
One thing to look out for in an online casino is the mobile compatibility if you would ever like to play slots on the go. Most modern online casinos will have a mobile-optimised website where you can play hundreds of games on your smartphone or tablet, or the casino might even have a dedicated app.