Is Online Gambling Allowed in Spain?
Yes, land-based casinos were legalised in Spain back in the 1970s and the country has enjoyed casino games ever since. Spain has a lot of small territories and the gambling rules differed from each other greatly until the Gambling Act of 2011, which was created to harmonise the system and set out the same rules for everyone.
Online casinos must obtain a licence from the Spanish Gambling Commission to offer their services to the citizens of Spain. The licence also requires the casinos to redirect all traffic to a special .es-ending site so that the Spanish will stay gambling on the Spanish website version.
All Online Casinos in Spain
Choosing an online casino from the vast selection of choice for the Spanish players is difficult, but our short-listed selection of only the best casinos should make it easier for you. With the help of our list you are sure to find an online casino where you can play games safely, legally, and enjoyably. Our team has extensive knowledge of online casinos and have spent years reviewing them, so we know exactly what to look out for. Here are some of the things we take into consideration:
- Licensing. To even be allowed to operate in Spain, the online casino must hold a valid licence from the National Gambling Commission. We would never even dream of including a casino on our list which was not operating legally, as we value the safety of our readers above all else. If you want to double-check the information yourself, you should be able to find information on the licence on the casino’s website. Usually you can find it in the footer or in the About Us section, and you can cross-check the information from the Spanish Directorate General for the Regulation of Gambling website.
- Games. The main reason to join a casino is to play the games on offer, which is why the game library is extremely important. A great casino offers hundreds of games and releases new ones on a regular basis. You might also want to keep an eye out on the software providers the casino uses and look for some of the big industry names such as Microgaming or IGT. These companies often publish games regularly and have better means to develop new game mechanics and better visuals than small indie companies.
- Customer support. Even if in an ideal situation you would never have to even reach out to the customer support team, it is good to know that they are available and ready to help. Should anything go wrong, you would want to get issues sorted out professionally and quickly. This is why it is important to be assured of great opening hours (preferably 24/7!) and easy-to-use contact methods for the customer support, for example a live chat.
- Casino Bonuses. Almost without fail, every online casino offers perks and bonuses to players. The most lucrative of them all is the welcome bonus, which is used to entice new players to come and join the casino. Online casinos are in fierce competition and always want to beat their competitors, so you should not have to make do with a meagre bonus upon signing up. Look for a great welcome bonus and you can enjoy the games for a much longer time than without it!
- Languages and currencies. Big online casino companies can usually invest in translating their websites and offering customer support in multiple languages. In fact, for the sake of transparency, it is much nicer to read any terms and conditions in your own native language to make sure you fully understand what you are signing up for. Same convenience goes for currencies; to better keep track of your account balance, your bets, and your winnings, you will want to gamble using your own currency where possible.
- Banking. It is extremely important that all payment transactions go smoothly and hassle-free. This is why there should be multiple banking options to cater for all tastes. Not only should depositing be easy, same goes for withdrawing your winnings. Different payment operators have different processing times and fees, which is why it is important to offer several options to the casino players.